Summertime is synonymous with those lovely hometown festivals across America. Local communities make these extraordinary events possible and a chance for both locals and visitors alike to celebrate some of the most original and entertaining summer fairs across the United States.
America’s Top 6 Quirkiest Festivals of 2016:
- Avon Heritage Duck Tape® Festival in Avon, Ohio; June 17 – June 19
Embrace your ingenuity at the Duck Tape® World Headquarters for a free, three-day family-friendly festival featuring live entertainment, food, rides, crafts, a parade with giant floats made from duct tape and more! There’s even a fashion show on the main stage where participants can model their custom Duck Tape® outfits for all to see.
- Roswell UFO Festival in Roswell, New Mexico; June 30 – July 3
Join UFO enthusiasts (and skeptics) for the City of Roswell’s celebration of the alleged flying-saucer crash landing in July 1947. The three-day festival takes place from Thursday, June 30 through Sunday July 3 and includes guest speakers, authors, live entertainment, a costume contest for humans and pets, a parade and tons of family-friendly activities.
- Running of the Bulls in New Orleans, Louisiana; July 8 – July 10
On the same weekend as the famous Running of the Bulls in Spain, the San Fermín in Nueva Orleans festival celebrates in the same way but with a twist – the “bulls” are roller derby athletes! Beginning on Friday, July 8 through Sunday, July 10, this year’s 10th annual NOLA Bulls celebration will welcome over 20,000 visitors looking for a taste of Spain with proceeds benefitting various local charities.
- The Gilroy Garlic Festival in Gilroy, California; July 29 – July 31
Summer’s ultimate food fair takes place from Friday, July 29 through Sunday, July 31 and features incredible, open-flame cooking competitions, live entertainment and plenty of delicious, garlic-laced foods including the town’s signature Gilroy garlic ice cream!
- Great River Tug Fest between LeClaire, Iowa and Port Byron, Illinois; August 11 – August 13
This year’s 30th annual event takes place on the banks of the Mississippi River from Thursday, August 11 through Saturday, August 13 and features a tug-of-war competition between Illinois and Iowa that literally stops all boat traffic on the river. The epic rivalry is at the heart of the celebration on both sides of the river with festivities including parades, mini-tugs for kids, carnival rides, live entertainment and more.
- Bat Fest in Austin, Texas; August 20Nearly 2 million Mexican free-tailed bats live under the Congress Avenue Bridge in Austin, Texas where tourists and locals flock to view the bats’ nightly flights into the sky. On August 20, the town’s 12th annual event celebrates the bats’ flight at dusk with three live music stages featuring performances by Blue October, The American Authors, The Mowgli’s, and Coleman Hell, along with arts and crafts, food, drinks, bat-themed activities and a costume contest.
To celebrate the season Motel 6 and the famous brand voice Tom Bodett are honoring America’s Top 6 Quirkiest Festivals of 2016 by paying homage to the local communities.
“The best part of working on this list with Motel 6 was rediscovering America’s ingenuity. There are so many exceptional events and communities across the U.S., and I am thrilled to help shine the light on them,” said Motel 6 brand ambassador and voice, Tom Bodett.
Designated Motel 6 Properties:
- Motel 6 Cleveland International Airport is eight miles from the Avon Heritage Duck Tape® Festival, located at 32751 Lorain Road, North Ridgeville, Ohio
Eligible dates for discount: June 17 – June 19
- Motel 6 Roswell is three miles from the Roswell UFO Festival, located at 3307 N Main Street, Roswell, New Mexico
Eligible dates for discount: June 30 – July 3
- Motel 6 Harvey is eight miles from San Fermin, located at 3750 Westbank Expressway, Harvey, Louisiana
Eligible dates for discount: July 8 – July 10
- Motel 6 Gilroy is two miles from The Gilroy Garlic Festival, located at 6110 Monterey Road, Gilroy, California
Eligible dates for discount: July 29 – July 31
- Motel 6 Davenport is 15 miles from the Great River Tug Fest, located at 101 W. 65 Street, Davenport, Iowa
Eligible dates for discount: August 11 – August 13
- Motel 6 Austin South is three miles from Bat Fest, located at 2707 Interregional Highway South, Austin, Texas
Eligible date for discount: August 20
SOURCE Motel 6/PRNewswire