Miami Beach is at the forefront of the booming health and fitness industry. With a wide variety of specialty gyms, free community wellness activities and some of the most beautiful scenic running routes in the world, Miami Beach is the perfect locale for anyone in search of an active destination.
This month, the Miami Marathon will zip through the streets of Miami Beach and offer runners an exciting course and a unique cardio experience. For those who prefer interval training, the Spartan Gym at 1 Hotel South Beach challenges guests to become gladiators with obstacle-focused exercises.
“Even before it was cool and trendy, Miami Beach has always provided visitors and residents with endless options to stay fit while on-the-go,” says Peggy Benua, Chair, Miami Beach Visitor and Convention Authority. “From beginners looking for a low impact workout to CrossFit enthusiasts, there’s something here for everyone.”
Miami Beach even offers complimentary, natural yoga mats to help people relax and unwind while taking in the pristine sand and breathtaking views. To top it off, free classes are offered by 3rd Street Beach Yoga every day.
“Miami Beach locals and our many visitors can enjoy extensive fitness and wellness offerings available at all price points,” says Grisette Roque, Executive Director of the MBVCA. “Everyone can take part in the action, while also enjoying our beautiful city as the perfect backdrop and motivation.”
With all that there is to do to stay healthy and in shape on Miami Beach, there’s never been a better time to “pump it up.”
MIAMI BEACH GYMS:
- The first ever Spartan Gym is all about being strong, resilient and finding your inner Spartan. Beach-goers can train like a Spartan with special classes, taught by certified Spartan coaches, complimentary to hotel guests and available for a fee to non-guests. Classes range from high intensity interval training to meditation and yoga. The gym features ropes, a monkey wall and pipes for obstacle-oriented training. Guests also have access to a yoga deck, outdoor workout areas and a private beach for special programs and Spartan challenges.
- Gathering a cult-like following, CrossFit sets the bar with their WODs, or workout of the days. Every workout is a new challenge and will never be the same, pushing members’ bodies to the limits and guaranteeing results. At Reebok CrossFit, members are exposed to varied functional movements, think squats and push-ups, done at high intensity. Anyone up for the challenge is welcome to visit the world-class 6,800 square-foot indoor/outdoor facility in the heart of South Beach.
- Get ready to ride! SoulCycle is home to one of the most coveted spinning bike classes, and for good reason. This isn’t just any average 45-minute spin class; weights and core work are incorporated to ensure you get the most out of your fat-burning cardio workout.
MIAMI BEACH RUNNING ROUTES:
- The Miami Marathon is calling all runners! With a spectacular course that goes through Miami Beach and many iconic Miami locations, the event marathon is celebrating its 15th year on January 29. Run alongside 25,000 participants racing through the Miami Beach and Miami streets. If 26.2 miles sounds like a daunting task, don’t fret; there’s also a half marathon.
- The Venetian Causeway is a popular destination for runners. Spanning the Venetian Islands and connecting Miami to Miami Beach, the causeway offers runners beautiful views of the city while being surrounded by the pristine waters of Biscayne Bay.
- South Pointe Park features Miami Beach’s only hill! Runners can burn more calories with the slight incline while simultaneously enjoying the ocean breeze.
- The Lummus Park sidewalk is an iconic location as the backdrop of many movies featuring South Beach and the perfect location for anyone looking for a good run. Take a break with a quick game of beach volleyball or just take in all that Miami Beach has to offer.
MIAMI BEACH YOGA
- Namaste! Free Yoga is offered every day of the week at 3rd Street Beach Yoga. The only thing better than yoga is free yoga!
- Whether you’re a beginner or a meditation master, greenmonkey Yoga welcomes all. Greenmonkey recognizes itself as a global movement dedicated to redefining the way people think and practice yoga.
SOURCE Miami Beach Visitor and Convention Authority
Photo Credit: Miami Marathon