The Kiroro, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Hokkaido, is a design-centric, top-to-bottom refreshment delicately pulls inspiration from the hotel’s surrounding natural environment, providing winter enthusiasts a high-end boutique experience to retreat back to after a day on the slopes. The Kiroto, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, is part of Marriott International Inc and recently concluded an extensive multi million dollar renovation just in time for the new 2016-2017 winter season.
“The Kiroro, Hokkaido is a wonderful example of how Tribute Portfolio is a brand created by and for our loyalty guests,” said Brian Povinelli, Global Brand Leader, Tribute Portfolio. “Travelers have been vocal in wanting access to more adventure destinations, which is why we are thrilled to provide them with a completely refreshed hotel in Hokkaido, Japan – one of the world’s best skiing destinations.”
A Touch of Winter
Encompassing guest rooms, restaurants and public spaces, The Kiroro, Hokkaido’s renovation design narrative focuses on natural materials, such as stone, wood and leather, as well as hues and patterns that are native to Hokkaido. Pulling inspiration from the outside natural environment inward, splashes of color highlight a brown and white palette inspired by the alpine, while geometric designs and artwork, including contemporary pieces and indigenous designs, complement the airy, open layouts of guest rooms and public spaces.
Each of the 282 beautifully-designed guestrooms and suites at The Kiroro, Hokkaido heavily exudes local architectural influence, embracing the Japanese alpine scene and rich cultural heritage of Hokkaido. After a long day of skiing, guests can venture into the rustic new lobby, whose aesthetic blends together natural elements such as fire, snow and trees harmoniously, and warm up next to the fireplace while taking in the beauty of the mountain through floor-to-ceiling windows. Guests can also enjoy the enhanced on-site traditional Japanese onsen (hot spring), which includes a soothing stone sauna, and features additional seating such as reclining chairs.
The Kiroro, Hokkaido features a variety of culinary experiences at six different restaurants to appease any appetite:
- POP, the all-day buffet restaurant, features breakfast and dinner dishes made from locally-sourced seasonal ingredients. A live noodle station serves soba, udon and ramen, while a special kids’ menu caters to young guests.
- Fuga presents the art of Edomae-style sushi (traditional) with an Omakase (Chef’s Choice Course) Menu offered with counter seating.
- For heartier fare, Shunsai provides Hokkaido beef and local seafood grilled over charcoal to bring out their natural flavors.
- Alla Moda delights with set courses, à la carte dishes, custom pizza and an eclectic selection of wine and beer.
- For European style cuisine, Alpine Brasserie offers breakfast, lunch, dinner, afternoon tea and bar-lounge services.
- Yanshu specializes in barbequed free-range pork and chicken, fresh fish and premium seafood that diners can grill right on their tables.
It’s What’s on the Inside that Counts
As with all of the brand’s properties, The Kiroro, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Hokkaido features a noteworthy selection of #independentmoments, a list comprised of distinct moments found at each Tribute Portfolio hotel that illustrate what guests love about Staying Independent. These socially-sourced vignettes go beyond the typical hotel brochure to highlight the secret spots, must-sees and can’t-miss experiences at each Tribute Portfolio property. The #independentmoments include:
- Geometric Shapes and Patterns – The newly refreshed lobby features a warm mix of shapes and patterns, complemented with rich wooden textures and faux animal prints. A view from the top provides the ultimate bird’s eye view.
- Ainu Artwork – The lobby and guestrooms feature artwork titled “Peace and Quiet”, inspired by the owl, long considered “the guardian angel of the village” in Ainu mythology. As the name suggests, the design fosters tranquil, peaceful moments.
- Fire and Ice – Thaw yourself by the roaring fireplace in the refreshed lobby, perfectly placed against a backdrop of stone and wood, making it the ultimate spot for a social media-friendly photo shoot.
- An Après-Ski Read – Nestled in a corner of the lobby, this reading nook serves as a charming retreat, adorned with beautiful pictures taken during the four distinct seasons in Hokkaido.
- Kegani Nabe – Savor various Nabe (hot pot) dishes to warm up during the cold winter season. Our favorite is the Kegani Nabe, featuring plenty of Hokkaido specialties such as hairy crabs and a variety of delicious local vegetables.
- Onsen – After a long day of skiing, enjoy the expanded facilities of an on-site traditional Japanese onsen (hot spring), including a soothing stone sauna. Open-air tubs allow guests to soak in healing waters under the starry sky.
“With its charming and distinctive experiences, The Kiroro, Hokkaido captures the boutique essence of this resort area, bringing unrivalled experiences to guests both within and outside of the hotel,” said Tetsuya Ishihara, Complex General Manager, The Kiroro, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Hokkaido. “We look forward to welcoming passionate travellers to come discover this compelling destination for themselves, whilst at the same time enjoying the benefits of the world’s most global loyalty programs”
Situated in the heart of the Kiroro mountain resort area, the hotel is approximately 90 minutes from New Chitose Airport, the largest airport in Hokkaido, and a 40 minute ride from the city of Otaru via a free shuttle service. Known for its superb powder skiing with 21 well-groomed trails suitable for all levels, the Kiroro Resort features mogul courses, a children’s snow park, a ski academy, snow shoe tours and snow cat tours. The Kiroro Resort also boasts modern facilities, relatively uncrowded pistes and a wealth of year-round amenities, including indoor pool and an amusement center.
For more information, please visit www.kirorohokkaido.com/.
About Tribute Portfolio
Launched in April 2015, Tribute Portfolio is a collection of aspirational independent hotels around the globe, offering guests and owners the ability to “Stay Independent” whether it’s at boutique resorts or urban properties in great destinations. Tribute Portfolio is proud to participate in the industry’s award-winning loyalty program, Starwood Preferred Guest®, in which members can link accounts with Marriott Rewards® and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® for instant elite status matching and unlimited points transfer. For more information on Tribute Portfolio, please visit www.tributeportfolio.com.
Marriott International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAR) is the world’s largest hotel company based in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, with nearly 6,000 properties in 120 countries and territories. Marriott operates and franchises hotels and licenses vacation ownership resorts. The company’s 30 leading brands include: Bulgari®, The Ritz-Carlton® and The Ritz-Carlton Reserve®, St. Regis®, W®, EDITION®, JW Marriott®, The Luxury Collection®, Marriott Hotels®, Westin®, Le Méridien®, Renaissance® Hotels, Sheraton®, Delta Hotels by MarriottSM, Marriott Executive Apartments®, Marriott Vacation Club®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Tribute Portfolio™, Design Hotels™, Gaylord Hotels®, Courtyard®, Four Points® by Sheraton, SpringHill Suites®, Fairfield Inn & Suites®, Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites®, AC Hotels by Marriott®, Aloft®, Element®, Moxy® Hotels, and Protea Hotels by Marriott®. The company also operates award-winning loyalty programs: Marriott Rewards®, which includes The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®, and Starwood Preferred Guest®. For more information, please visit our website at www.marriott.com.
SOURCE Tribute Portfolio